Moving KWayland to frameworks

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Nov 5 09:50:06 UTC 2015

Hi,

after the Plasma 5.5 release I would like to move KWayland to frameworks. The
main reason is that it is oddly placed in plasma-workspace as it's also a
library useful for applications (example kde-connect uses it already).

KWayland is designed to be a tier1/integration framework. The current
dependencies are:
* QtGui
* Wayland Client (1.7)
* Wayland Server (1.7)
* EGL

License is  LGPL version 2.1, or version 3 or later versions approved by the
membership of KDE e.V.

There are two things which make the move to frameworks difficult and I don't
see a solution to it at the moment:

1. We require C++11 without exceptions: reason, it's designed for Linux and it
didn't come to my mind to restrict us on the compiler due to lack of support
in Visual Studio.

2. We use Qt 5.4.

For item 1 I only see the possibility of adding an exception [1]. For 2 it
might be possible to get it down to 5.3 again. The biggest usage of Qt 5.4
code is the new QSignalSpy syntax in autotests. I don't want to remove that,
but it's of course possible to make autotests to only build with Qt 5.4. Of
course I would also accept an exception ;-)

Given the release schedule I would target either the January or February
frameworks release for inclusion.

Opinions?

Best Regards
Martin Gräßlin

[1] It might make sense to formalize the exception that integration frameworks
which are not buildable on some platforms are not bound to restrictions of
that framework.