Versioning of Frameworks

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Tue May 5 11:14:08 UTC 2015

On Tue, May 5, 2015, at 12:11 PM, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 May 2015 11:45:19 Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> > >
> > > How can the developer write in KIO's CMakeLists.txt "this depends on
> > > KXmlGui
> > > 5.5 and KCoreAddons 5.2" without testing that it actually works with
> > > these versions?
> >
> > Because he tested that when he originally added that dependency, and
> > never changed anything related to that.
>
> That's wishful thinking, isn't it?

No it isn't. I'm doing that for libkolabxml and libkolab since quite a
while now. Obviously I break stuff every now and then for
i.e. CentOS6, and a lack of the necessary CI infrastructure could make
it difficult at times to keep everything working.
However, it's a requirement for kolab to keep this working, so I do what
is necessary to achieve that.
Now that we have better CI infrastructure it becomes much easier to
ensure I don't break anything,
the rest is a simple matter of fixing what I break.

> I already gave you examples on how we
> regularly forget to increase the required versions in KWin .

Which doesn't mean everyone does, or that simply ignoring the problem
solves it.
I'm not trying to force everyone to care about that aspect, I'm trying
to enable those that do (me).

Cheers,
Christian