KIOSK feature in kconfig framework

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sun Mar 29 22:13:34 UTC 2015

On Tuesday 17 March 2015 20:12:29 Bhushan Shah wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am planning to work on KIOSK tool during the GSoC 2015, so I came
> across this code in the kconfig framework while searching for things.
> I came across this code,
>
> #pragma message("TODO: enable kiosk feature again (resource
> restrictions), but without KStandardDirs... Needs a class in the
> kconfig framework.")
> #if 0
>          if (componentData.dirs()->isRestrictedResource(resourceType,
> fileName)) bFileImmutable = true;
> #endif
>
> That was added in the commit 770786f234dc0a824b3b463d5d6923459bd28f0a [1]
>
> So I was wondering, what kind of code/class this will require? so
> probably I can include this in my GSoC proposal and plan rest of work
> accordingly. Also I am wondering if resource restrictions mentioned in
> README.kiosk [2] is possible without KStandardDirs? or this will not
> work as it is..?

That's what the "pragma message" says: it will not work as is, it needs to be
re-implemented now that KStandardDirs no longer exists.

Rethink the feature, based on "just" KConfig.
How would KConfig find out which files to make readonly.
Since the input file for all this is another config file, it sounds doable to
implement this into the kconfig framework itself.

Working on KDE Frameworks 5