KDE/CI for KF5 WAS "OSX/CI: libkcddb and ark fail to build for KF5"

Marko Käning mk-lists at email.de
Sat Mar 7 11:43:37 UTC 2015

Hi Jeremy AND folks,

On 07 Mar 2015, at 02:14 , Jeremy Whiting <jpwhiting at kde.org> wrote:
> I appreciate the efforts you are making :)

Thanks. :)

Just wondering whether I am wasting my time because of my “perfectionism" here on OSX/CI.
E.g. libkcddb I perhaps shouldn’t have touched at all for now, as it hasn’t been committed to
since last autumn… Well, for ark it’s different - of course!

But still, e.g. on my dependencies-RR [1] I have been working for 2 weeks now and while doing
so I more and more began to wonder whether it makes sense for all the new projects I am trying
to get into CI...

I have the feeling that my work (inspired by Christoph Feck’s post on KDE-DEVEL [2] and his
porting status page [3]) runs a little too uncoordinated - which gives me only extra head aches,
since I have to iterate through all these projects _manually_ while knowing far too little of their
real status and objectives. This lead to the result that I

	- could effectively only add about _30_ new projects

	- which means that there are now about 200 projects successfully built on OSX/CI [4],

	- while having had to go through *170* potential projects from [3] step by step.

For all of these I needed to figure out how to build them on OSX/CI and how to fix their
dependency metadata. 140 projects are thus disabled on OSX/CI for now. I doubt that this can
be considered a very efficient workflow! ;-)

I think we need to have another CI IRC meeting sometime soon, where we could discuss -
besides the change to the new KDE/CI system - also which projects are actually worth
considering (not only on OSX but) on Linux/CI in general!

What do you think?

Greets,
Marko

[1] https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/122672/