What environment variable defines where krunner looks for libkdeinit5_$app.so

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sat Jun 6 21:31:52 UTC 2015

On Saturday 06 June 2015 23:18:51 Milian Wolff wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I try to configure my KF5 plasma environment similar to my old KDE4 plasma.
> There, I could open even applications build into my custom prefix via
> krunner. I think, the important part was to set PATH there mostly to have
> that working. In KF5 now I'm greeted with this:
>
> KDEInit could not launch 'kwrite':
> Could not open library '/usr/lib/libkdeinit5_kwrite'.
> Cannot load library /usr/lib/libkdeinit5_kwrite:
> (/usr/lib/libkdeinit5_kwrite.so: cannot open shared object file: No such
> file or directory)
>
> This file is located in my prefix: /home/milian/projects/compiled/kf5/lib64
> What environment variable do I need to set for KRunner to find it?

The error isn't about krunner but about kdeinit5, which can't find the .so to
dlopen.

I suggest debugging a bit in kinit.cpp, function launch(), to find out more,
but it looks like this function is already getting a full path as input?

You could try adding a lookup in LD_LIBRARY_PATH in that code, to make it more
flexible --- or in the calling code, if indeed the problem is before that.

Problem number 2: this kdeinit5 dlopen stuff is supposed to be optional,
kdeinit should fallback to executing the binary, otherwise. I.e. this code is
supposed to clear libpath and keep only execpath, and find it ("kwrite") in
$PATH.

Happy debugging :-)

Working on KDE Frameworks 5