about ki18n/locales: installing only a subset?

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Fri Dec 18 10:10:16 UTC 2015

> [: René J.V. Bertin :]
> [...] AFAIK it's always been a habit among distributions to package
> languages separately.

Which distributions? Not the ones I use, Debian and Suse. I know only of
Ubuntu doing it.

>> [: Chusslove Illich :]
>> Furthermore, if one thinks of stripping the translation files from
>> release packages, or fetching them manually from the repo, that will not
>> work properly.
>
> [: René J.V. Bertin :]
> It worked just fine with KDE4, esp. with the fallback feature to a
> language that isn't automatically the developer's language (usually
> en_US).

I meant whoever thinks doing that on his own. In KDE4 it worked because the
language packages were officially provided.

And it only worked in the sense that all files were accounted for. In
practice I had only frustration with language packages, having to pay
attention to install them as well when provided separately. The disk space
overhead is preferable to having to think about it, and highly preferable to
bothering any admins about it.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)