about ki18n/locales: installing only a subset?

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Fri Dec 18 09:53:35 UTC 2015

>> [: Chusslove Illich :]
>> It has a use in every situation where multiple-language users work in a
>> centrally administered network. Like in... an office.
>
> [: René J.V. Bertin :]
> How many offices do you know that require all known languages to be
> installed? The only organisations I can think of where that situation
> might be approached are the UN and (to a much lesser extent) EU
> administrations.

I'm not talking about offices requiring it. I'm talking about coming to a
random office in the world and finding my language already available,
without trifling anyone about it.

>> To put it in perspective, a single contemporary high-budget game will
>> occupy much more disk blocks than all Gettext translations on the system
>> combined.
>
> You haven't read (or understood) my argument, which is about how blocks
> are used, not how many.

I read it, but apparently I didn't understand it. Would you explain it
further, or point me to an explanation?

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)