RFC: split platformtheme plugin from frameworkintegration and move to kde/workspace

Mark Gaiser markg85 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 13:40:16 UTC 2015

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 1:37 PM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 10 December 2015, Mark Gaiser wrote:
> > It's not just a barrier in my head. It's a waste of resources if one
> > package that doesn't need a dozen dependencies, pulls it in because
> someone
> > decided it doesn't matter for the resources. If you don't use it, don't
> > install it.
> > But that's my opinion. You know i'm all about optimization (more so then
> > other people) so i can understand if you don't share this opinion.
>
> It's really asking the wrong question: it's really a matter of wether or
> not
> the Plasma desktop QPT (that's what it is even right now, even if it isn't
> in
> the workspace/ repositories yet) makes sense used on different platforms
> (and
> would still not be forbidden doing so, the cost of it would still be quite
> negligible)
> but it's not really what you want on Windows
> nor what you want in OSX
> nor what you want in GNOME
> or XFCE
> and yeah, probably not even in LXQt
> even in Plasma Mobile, we'll need a different QPT

Please!
Stop assuming things i never said!

For the full fledged desktop environments (windows, mac, plasma, gnome,
xfce, etc...) you are all completely right.
And that wasn't the point i was trying to make at all.

The point i was trying to make is where a user - for whatever reason -
decides to use a light weight desktop (say openbox, or say a tilling window
manager, think along THOSE lines) there a user might very well prefer the
dialogs that frameworks can provide if the QPT is installed over the stock
Qt dialogs. LXQt is doubtful since it is somewhere in the middle.

That is the point i'm trying to make over and over again.

Now some seem to think that's the wrong thing to do since every "desktop
environment" (say i3 tilling wm, just for fun and to prevent further
assumptions of gnome...) needs to implement their own QPA to get the
framework fancy dialogs. That's fine if you think that. It's an RFC! Those
opinions should be shared since it's the intention of an RFC to get the
opinion of others. I think one QPA with just the framework goodness should
exists (and does exist right now) that should be usable on every wm (yes,
say i3 again) if the user decides to do that.