Purpose as a KDE Framework

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Tue Dec 1 15:12:24 UTC 2015

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 4:01 PM, Boudhayan Gupta <bgupta at kde.org> wrote:
> On 1 December 2015 at 19:31, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I've been working on Purpose since some months now, with the intention
>> of becoming a framework some day.
>
> +1. I intend to port Spectacle to use it instead of KIPI for uploading
> images to online sites, and I love the API's simplicity.
>
> I only have two concerns:
>
> 1. I'd like to be able to load the list of plugins available per
> mimetype a priori before the filename to share becomes available.
You can pass { "mimetype": "image/png", "urls": [] }.

That should work.
I'm not sure why you'd want to list plugins before having anything to
share though...

> 2. I'd also like some feature to load the plugins in some parallel
> thread or something. Currently KIPI has about 30 plugins and it blocks
> the GUI thread for 5-6 seconds while it loads them. I'd want to avoid
> that when the plugins grow.

That's not a problem for Purpose because by design it doesn't load the
plugins. Plugins are loaded when they're chosen.
This means we need to be able to figure out if a plugin is acceptable
by its metadata.

> Otherwise, looking forward to seeing it as a Framework! Splitting the
> plugins into a separate package (purpose-plugins) as Martin said
> sounds like a snazzy idea as well.

Aleix