Purpose as a KDE Framework

Boudhayan Gupta bgupta at kde.org
Tue Dec 1 15:01:14 UTC 2015

On 1 December 2015 at 19:31, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've been working on Purpose since some months now, with the intention
> of becoming a framework some day.

+1. I intend to port Spectacle to use it instead of KIPI for uploading
images to online sites, and I love the API's simplicity.

I only have two concerns:

1. I'd like to be able to load the list of plugins available per
mimetype a priori before the filename to share becomes available.

2. I'd also like some feature to load the plugins in some parallel
thread or something. Currently KIPI has about 30 plugins and it blocks
the GUI thread for 5-6 seconds while it loads them. I'd want to avoid
that when the plugins grow.

Otherwise, looking forward to seeing it as a Framework! Splitting the
plugins into a separate package (purpose-plugins) as Martin said
sounds like a snazzy idea as well.

-- Boudhayan.