Removing border and background from KPageView

Hugo Pereira Da Costa hugo.pereira at free.fr
Tue Sep 9 10:37:12 UTC 2014

On 09/09/2014 12:16 PM, Christoph Feck wrote:

> On Tuesday 09 September 2014 10:33:22 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
>
> > El Dilluns, 8 de setembre de 2014, a les 23:31:52, Anton Kreuzkamp
>
> > va
>

> > escriure:
>
> > > Hi,
>

> > > on the VDG forum there has been a discussion about improving the
>
> > > design of "sidebars"
>
> > > (https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=285&t=120006). Meant are
>
> > > the sidebars that allow navigating between application pages,
>
> > > namely KPageView.
>

> > > The idea is to remove the border and the white background, so
>
> > > that the list is drawn onto the window-background directly.
>

> > > The implementation of this is rather easy, it's basically setting
>
> > > two flags in the constructor of KPageListView, resp.
>
> > > KPageTreeView.
>

> > > The result is this:
>
> > > http://wstaw.org/m/2014/09/04/frameless-sidebar-oxygen.png
>

> > > When using a tree view, it's like this:
>
> > > http://wstaw.org/m/2014/09/04/frameless-sidebar-oxygen-tree.png
>

> > > What's your opinion regarding this?
>

> > I think that the white background better and it's what lists have
>
> > been doing for a long time.
>

> > Is there any UX/design rationale of why removing the background is
>
> > better than having it?
>
> Additionally, removing the frame is not a good idea, because the frame
> separates the scrollable(!) contents of the list from the background,
> in other words, they are not at the same (z-axis) layer.

Hi,

Not that I am completely convinced with the proposed change (I have been
doing some experiment with it in breeze).

Still, to be the devil's advocate, one can ask what is the difference
between the said KPageListView panel, and say, dolphin 'places' side
panel (which is also a scrolable list) ?
(or the one from our download dialog)

Hugo