There's no proper replacement for KIcon

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Wed Sep 3 21:23:37 UTC 2014

On 09/03/2014 11:12 PM, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> Which attack tone? I merely did a question.

Yes, a "Did you stop beating your wife?"-type loaded
question casting me as an ally to evil app-breaking
perpetrators, while answering a specific technical
question someone had.

> What more analysis you want besides "QIcon::fromTheme can never default to
> oxygen as KIcon did so it's not a proper replacement"?

Why this is a problem for you and others, and why you feel
it needs to be solved at the level you suggest. Since you
expect others to do this work for you as per your mail,
that would help in enabling them to do so.

> What would a distro do?

A distro or system administrator would make sure that
either a suitable Qt platform plugin exists and works,
or that a suitable 'hicolor' theme is installed, for
the environment they expect users to use.

I don't see how Qt can solve this for all scenarios,
or needs to when the spec already specifies a fall-
back. I don't see why KF5 should override this fall-
back, or why the fallback should be Oxygen. Oxygen is
not a part of KF5, it's just an fd.o-compliant icon
theme. KF5 and Qt target the fd.o spec. Qt provides
mechanisms to adapt the behavior to the environment
etc etc.

Can I think up scenarios where the ball gets dropped?
Yes. I'm not sure those scenarios are relevant because
all the options seem to be there to fix them. So don't
see where the loophole is.

> I don't know, i tried fixing the problem by myself presented a review that was
> approved (common ownersip!) but my code has been accused of bastardization so
> i had to revert it.

I didn't see that review. Maybe linking to it in your
mail would have provided some useful context.

> Cheers,
>    Albert

Cheers,
Eike