blogging about technical details (was: Re: Review Request 120099: RFC: UI-Files inside resources instead of filesystem)

Dominik Haumann dhaumann at kde.org
Wed Oct 15 18:32:44 UTC 2014

On Sunday 12 October 2014 22:57:33 David Faure wrote:
> On Saturday 11 October 2014 16:40:55 Dominik Haumann wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > imho, these are changes that get mostly unnoticed, and hence close to no
> > one will use this feature. I personally would find it very cool if there
> > were lots and lots of blogs on the planet for these technical details. It
> > would also communicate a bit more of the internals to potentially new
> > developers. So feel free to interpret this mail as a call for more
> > blogging ;)
> Well, I'll mention it in the KF 5.4 changelog, too.
> So all of kde-core-devel and kde-devel will notice.

The changelog is about the "what", but not about the "how". The "how" is
what's important [to me] here. For instance, it's nice to hear that KArchive
supports a new format. But if there was a quick blog about how to approach
this to add a new format, maybe with some cool/interesting details, then there
might be someone attracted trying to add some other format. (Yes, I know I can
look into the commit, but this is about e.g. some 18-22 years old potential
developers that maybe don't even know what git or a commit it. I once did not
knew myself...)

Oh well, maybe it's just me ;)

Greetings,
Dominik