tier 1 optional dependencies on kdoctools?

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Sat Oct 4 15:19:00 UTC 2014

Alex Merry ha scritto:
> On 2014-10-03 13:36, Burkhard Lück wrote:

>>> What about translations? Do we translate man pages?
>>>
>> Sure, see
>> http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/l10n-kf5/templates/docmessages/frameworks/
>
> Yeah, I thought that was the case, and I'm pretty sure this is why we haven't
> already done that. The translation system is set up to deal with docbook xml,
> but not with troff (or perldoc, as far as I'm aware).
>
> The docbook-requiring-kdoctools thing is kind of frustrating. We want man
> pages and/or other documentation in some of our tier 1 frameworks, but it's a
> semi-optional (in the the software works without man pages) build-time-only
> dependency.

I fear that at this point nothing can be done, if not pushing features in Qt
or tricking by moving the dependencies into kdesupport - because in fact
phonon is an implicit tier0...
The tier split lead to some regressions, unfortunately, especially in the i18n
area (the usage of Qt-native format has some issues); this is another case.
That's it. I don't have a solution for this specific case, sorry.
Rewriting man page in another format means not using the existing entities we
have in KDocTools, which could be a limited issue for manpages, but a no-go
for documentation.

> How feasible would it be to have kdoctools as an optional dependency for
> these? The frameworks could still be considered tier 1, because anyone who
> didn't care too much about man pages or other documentation wouldn't have to
> have kdoctools, and distro packages wouldn't depend on kdoctools at
> installation time (only at build time).
This is against the entire schema, see above.

> NB: KDocTools is tier 2, but its only framework dependency is KArchive.

Even if KDocTools was tier 1, that wouldn't solve the issue for tier 1 frameworks.

Ciao
--
Luigi