tier 1 optional dependencies on kdoctools? (was: Re: desktoptojson man page)

Alex Merry alex.merry at kde.org
Sat Oct 4 12:04:17 UTC 2014

On 2014-10-03 13:36, Burkhard Lück wrote:
> Am Freitag, 3. Oktober 2014, 12:22:03 schrieb Alex Merry:
>> >
>> > Or rewrite the man page in troff directly.
>>
>> What about translations? Do we translate man pages?
>>
> Sure, see
> http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/l10n-kf5/templates/docmessages/frameworks/

Yeah, I thought that was the case, and I'm pretty sure this is why we
haven't already done that. The translation system is set up to deal with
docbook xml, but not with troff (or perldoc, as far as I'm aware).

The docbook-requiring-kdoctools thing is kind of frustrating. We want
man pages and/or other documentation in some of our tier 1 frameworks,
but it's a semi-optional (in the the software works without man pages)
build-time-only dependency.

How feasible would it be to have kdoctools as an optional dependency for
these? The frameworks could still be considered tier 1, because anyone
who didn't care too much about man pages or other documentation wouldn't
have to have kdoctools, and distro packages wouldn't depend on kdoctools
at installation time (only at build time).

NB: KDocTools is tier 2, but its only framework dependency is KArchive.

Alex