i18n in frameworks/kio

Burkhard Lück lueck at hube-lueck.de
Sat Oct 4 14:28:40 UTC 2014

Am Samstag, 4. Oktober 2014, 10:49:57 schrieb David Faure:
> On Friday 03 October 2014 23:14:10 Burkhard Lück wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > frameworks/kio has five translation catalogs:
> >
> > 1) kurifilter with 46 msgs
> > 2) kshorturifilter with 3 msgs
> > 3) kio_trash with 18 msgs
> > 4) kcm_webshortcuts with 2 msgs
> > 5) kio5 with 1066 msgs
> >
> > The msgs from 1-4 are in catalog 5 as well.
> >
> > That should be fixed, either by fixing Messages.sh for kio5 (excluding
> > messages for catalogs 1-4) or by using one single catalog for
> > frameworks/kio
>
> Oh.
>
> > Btw where is the code to load catalog 2) ?
>
> Same as the code to load catalog 1 .... missing.
> (we both don't really mean "code", but setting TRANSLATION_DOMAIN, of
> course)

Yes "code" like setting TRANSLATION_DOMAIN or real code like
"KLocalizedString::insertQtDomain("kurifilter");" in kuriikwsfilter.cpp +
kurisearchfilter.cpp.
The latter should load the catalog kurifilter according to the api afaik, but
apparently this does not work here.

> Any preference about which way to go? Shall I merge or keep the split?

I'd go with merge - one catalog for frameworks/kio

> The easiest short-term is merging it all into kio5, but I guess separate
> catalogs make things easier long-term when moving stuff around, no?

Not really. If you want to move translations around, you use the options
"merge" or "move" for a single separate catalog or "mergekeep" to move a part
of a catalog to a new destination catalog or into another existing catalog.
With the latter you only have more obsolete messages in the destination
catalog but that happens over time for other reasons as well.

Let's have Albert the last saying how to solve this.

Thanks.

--
Burkhard Lück