[RFC] [kservice] KPluginMetadata indexing

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Nov 11 15:17:41 UTC 2014

Hi Nicolas,

Sorry for my late reply, I thought I had replied, but apparently that was
never sent. :/

On Thursday, November 06, 2014 16:26:01 Nicolás Alvarez wrote:
> > So, this code is in a bit of a draft stage, I'd very much welcome feedback
> > about the approach, and of course the code itself. It can be found in
> > kservice[sebas/kpluginindex]. the kpluginmetadata autotest gives a useful
> > testing target. I didn't submit it to reviewboard yet, because I want to
> > nail down the further direction, and provide a base to discuss on.
>
> I tried it on Windows :)
>
> Needed a minor tweak to build on MSVC2010 (have to specify the return
> type of lambdas). Can I commit this?

Sure, feel free to push this kind of trivial stuff. I'm not easily annoyed by
someone who helps, and I usually make sure not to have pending stuff on my
disk for something I've announced in public.

> findPluginSubdirectories is checking if the filename ends with ".so",
> I had to change it to ".dll". But why is the check there, if
> QDirIterator is already filtering?

I'll have to check, I don't exclude oversight as a reason right from the bat.
;)

> After those changes, kplugin-update-index -a successfully generated 14
> .json files. I think .json isn't a good file extension for them if
> they aren't text JSON.

Me neither, suggestions for a better extension are welcome, or perhaps just no
extension?

> I ran the benchmark a few times and having the index made it about 24x
> faster, with warm caches (I have no idea if there is anything like
> drop_caches on Windows or if I'd have to reboot).

That's consistent with my measurements, thanks for a data point I'm not easy
to acquire!

Cheers,
--
sebas