Issues for Qt5/KF5/KDE/CI system on OSX/MacPorts

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Mon May 26 07:03:10 UTC 2014

On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 3:59 AM,  <mk-lists at email.de> wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> On 24 May 2014, at 14:57 , Alex Merry <alex.merry at kde.org> wrote:
>> Where *is* kconfig_compiler_kf5 installed?
>
> thanks again for pointing that out!
>
> I’ve found it here:
> ---
> $ find /opt/kde -name kconfig_compiler_kf5.app
> $ find /Users/marko/WC/KDECI-builds/ -name kconfig_compiler_kf5.app
> /Users/marko/WC/KDECI-builds/kconfig/build/src/kconfig_compiler/kconfig_compiler_kf5.app
> /Users/marko/WC/KDECI-builds/kconfig/local-inst/Applications/KDE/kconfig_compiler_kf5.app
> ---
> so in the build dir and in some local installation dir, but NOT in the KDE/CI’s
> installation location below /opt/kde, which seems to be the problem here!
>
> Was the app deliberately not installed as all the other libs below /opt/kde?
> Is the yet undecided install path on OSX the reason perhaps, as Luigi mentioned?

This is because it was installed to /Applications/ within the
installation jail (located at
/Users/marko/WC/KDECI-builds/kconfig/local-inst in this instance).

The CI system does not support anything installing components outside
the given installation prefix in the installation jail.
This is because we have to deal with multiple versions of the same
software being around at the same time.

I've no idea how OS X handles applications/executables - but a
solution allowing for them to be contained within the installation
prefix is needed (whether assisted by OS X specific environment
variables or through other mechanisms).

I wonder how Macports, Homebrew, etc. handle this.

> Well, this is the installation folder used by my CI system:
> ---
> $ grep installPrefix config/build/darwin-mavericks.cfg
> installPrefix=/opt/kde/install/%(opSys)s/%(architecture)s/%(compiler)s/
> ---
>
> In this case qt5 apps for instance get installed below
>
>         /opt/kde/install/darwin/mavericks/clang/kf5-qt5/qt5/inst/bin
>
> so, why don’t we send KDE’s apps to stg like
>
>         /opt/kde/install/darwin/mavericks/clang/kf5-qt5/kf5/inst/bin
>
> for a start?

That is what should be happening. The KF5 CMake logic is disrespecting
the install prefix we are specifying. This usually doesn't happen with
executables - Qt plugins are notorious for having this issue though
(as projects try to install them into the Qt installation prefix).

> Greets,
> Marko

Thanks,
Ben