Translation support in Qt-translation-based frameworks

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Mon Mar 31 22:26:56 UTC 2014

El Dilluns, 31 de març de 2014, a les 07:30:29, Aurélien Gâteau va escriure:
> Hi,
>
> I just committed the necessary build system changes to enable all
> Qt-translation-based frameworks to build, install and load their
> translations.
>
> This means the following frameworks:
>
> kauth
> kbookmarks
> kcodecs
> kcompletion
> kcoreaddons
> kcrash
> kdbusaddons
> kdesignerplugin
> kdnssd
> kglobalaccel
> kitemviews
> kjobwidgets
> knotifications
> kwidgetsaddons
> solid
> sonnet
>
> If you maintain one of those frameworks, please have a look at the
> changes. They were partly automated, so may not match exactly the way
> you like things to be named or indented.
>
> I smoke-tested those which provided manual tests to exercise part of the
> translated UI. This is the list of frameworks for which I found a way to
> test:
>
> kbookmarks
> kcompletion
> kcoreaddons
> kdesignerplugin
> kitemviews
> kjobwidgets
> knotifications
> kwidgetsaddons
> sonnet
>
> To test translations:
>
> 1. Generate a .pot file by following those instructions:
> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Localization/i18n_Build_System
> s#Testing_your_Messages.sh_script
>
> 2. Create a translation file:
>     cd po
>     cp myframework.pot myframework-fr.po
>     (or -de, -es, -pt...)
>
> 3. Edit myframework-fr.po with Lokalize or your text editor, translate
> strings of interest (no need to translate all, this is just for testing)
>
> 4. Rerun cmake so that it notices the new po dir (touch CMakeLists.txt
> should do)
>
> 5. Run make and make install
>
> 6. Run the code to test, your translations should appear

This is really bad compared to our you do it in kde4 which is basically.
 * Go do l10n-kde4
 * Install your language
 * Done

It also makes it much harder for translators to test the translations they are
working on since they suddenly have to compile the program they are
translating instead of just compiling the translation and using the binaries
the distro provides.

Any way we can make the old "just compile your l10n-kde4 language and install
it" way work?

Cheers,
  Albert