Move KDED out of frameworks?

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sat Mar 29 14:13:11 UTC 2014

On Saturday, 2014-03-29, 01:21:24, Aleix Pol wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 9:14 PM, Kevin Krammer <krammer at kde.org> wrote:

> > I thought I was obvious that I was addressing the Aleix's concern about
> > portability of frameworks requiring D-Bus, but I must have failed at that.
> >
> > I'll try to make it more clear: a framework that can be built on a
> > platform,
> > run on that platform and provide its functionality on that platform can be
> > considered supported on that platform.
> >
> > And, additionally, the whole point of having different frameworks is the
> > ability to choose which ones to use, which at least for me implied not
> > having
> > to use a framework that does not provide any features an application
> > needs.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Kevin
>
> Well, I think that what Boudewijn means is that even though we can use DBus
> on Windows, we might not really want to. Not only for deployment
> constraints but also because then you need to take care of having it
> running and management. It can be more of a promo statement more than
> actual technical advice, but I prefer happy users of few frameworks than
> slightly frustrated users of many frameworks...

I am not saying that we have to use D-Bus in frameworks that require out-of-
process components, we can of course always use a hand crafted communication
mechanism based on QLocalSocket/-Server, even on platforms that have D-Bus as
part of the system installation.

I am just saying that frameworks using D-Bus can be used on more platforms
than just Linux. All frameworks with dynamic dependencies need to have
deployment documentatation. Whether that is bundling a D-Bus installer or
bundling plugins and setting custom search paths or bundling a plugin
installer.

And, most importantly, it is the application developer's choice which
frameworks they need and which just optionally use on certain platforms.

I just don't see a point in telling application developers that a certain
framework is not available on certain platforms when in fact it is but some
application developers might chose not to use it due to deployment
requiremens.

Qt doesn't restrict its supported platforms to Linux just because that is the
platform where it comes pre-installed.
If a platform without system Qt is widely used there can even be initiatives
to remedy that somewhat, like Ministro does on Android.

> In other words, I don't think it's enough to be able to build and run. I
> think that it's fundamental also to be able to deploy it and provide an
> seamless and integrated experience to the user.

Of course, I never stated anything to the contrary.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring