Move KDED out of frameworks?

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Sat Mar 29 00:21:24 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 9:14 PM, Kevin Krammer <krammer at kde.org> wrote:

> On Friday, 2014-03-28, 20:55:02, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > On Fri, 28 Mar 2014, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > > The D-Bus session/user daemon is also something that needs to be
> treated
> > > in a platform specific way as a dependency.
> > > E.g. on Windows there could be a D-Bus installer that applications
> bundle
> > > and run if necessary, very much like Games bunlding an DirectX
> installer.
> > Oh no, I never would do that... It would still cost me many hours of my
> > life dealing with it, and it would still give my users no advantage at
> > all. There just isn't any reason an application like Krita would need an
> > ipc solution -- and any library that insists on coming with one is just
> > not going to make the cut.
>
> I thought I was obvious that I was addressing the Aleix's concern about
> portability of frameworks requiring D-Bus, but I must have failed at that.
>
> I'll try to make it more clear: a framework that can be built on a
> platform,
> run on that platform and provide its functionality on that platform can be
> considered supported on that platform.
>
> And, additionally, the whole point of having different frameworks is the
> ability to choose which ones to use, which at least for me implied not
> having
> to use a framework that does not provide any features an application needs.
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin

Well, I think that what Boudewijn means is that even though we can use DBus
on Windows, we might not really want to. Not only for deployment
constraints but also because then you need to take care of having it
running and management. It can be more of a promo statement more than
actual technical advice, but I prefer happy users of few frameworks than
slightly frustrated users of many frameworks...

In other words, I don't think it's enough to be able to build and run. I
think that it's fundamental also to be able to deploy it and provide an
seamless and integrated experience to the user. Being cross-platform I
think it also means that the user doesn't feel like in a KDE/Linux bubble
within his Windows/Mac/Android system.

Aleix