[kde-frameworks-devel] Regarding entry.desktop files

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sat Mar 29 08:40:27 UTC 2014

On Friday 28 March 2014 21:27:05 Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> Thanks for the information.  My main concern is that kf5 and
> kde-runtime can be installed alongside the kdelibs4 equivalents
> without overlapping files.  I didn't know there were entry.desktop
> files in kde-runtime too but I see them now.  I've committed a change
> to kde4support to rename the C entry.desktop file to
> kf5_entry.desktop.  And also patched kde4support internally to use
> kf5_entry.desktop.

Note that the patch in question is wrong, since it mixes both kinds of entry.desktop files.

./src/kdecore/klocale_kde.cpp:401:    KConfig entryFile(QStandardPaths::locate(QStandardPaths::GenericDataLocation, QLatin1String("locale/") + QString::fromLatin1("l10n/%1/kf5_entry.desktop").arg(m_country)));

Wrong, since countries (from kde-runtime) don't get named that way.
(same problem in 2 other lines in kde4support)

./src/kdecore/klocale_kde.cpp:498:    KConfig langCfg(QStandardPaths::locate(QStandardPaths::GenericDataLocation, QLatin1String("locale/") + QString::fromLatin1("%1/kf5_entry.desktop").arg(m_language)));

Right, if you remember to adjust kde-l10n-* as well.

> Can you say if this is the right thing to do?
> It'll mean the other files in kde-l10n-* also need renamed.

Yes.

> The contents of /usr/share/locale/l10n can probably be moved wholesale
> into /usr/share/locale/l10n-kf5 or similar.  Would that be sensible?

Yes. But while at it, I would rename entry.desktop to country.desktop or something, it's getting
really confusing with all the things called l10n and entry.desktop in here.