Regarding entry.desktop files

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Sat Mar 29 00:27:45 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 10:08 PM, Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic at gmx.net>wrote:

> There are now several review requests, in which there is some confusion
> about what to do/not to do with entry.desktop files in KF5. There are two
> kinds of these files.
>
> One set of entry.desktop files are those in kde-runtime. They are per
> country, and contain locale information for the KLocale, which is being
> replaced with QLocale. These files have nothing to do with translations,
> per
> se. What to do with them depends on the state of conversion to QLocale.
> Further comments here welcome.
>
> The other set of entry.desktop files are those installed by kde-l10n-*
> language packages. These are per language, and have nothing to do with
> locale, per se. What to do with them depends on how the language
> configuration is going to be done in KF5. There is the thread "Translations
> KCM" on kde-frameworks-devel/kde-i18n-doc about this, the matter is not
> trivial. Until that is settled, language entry.desktop files at the moment
> have no purpose. In any case, Ki18n (KLocalizedString) itself will not deal
> with the issue of available languages; it will expect something else to
> have
> properly set the Gettext-relevant environment variables (LANG, LC_ALL,
> LC_MESSAGES, LANGUAGE).
>
> --
> Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)

So do you suggest that I move the ones in kde-runtime/l10n to kde4support?

For context, in here [1] somebody suggested to move to kde4support _and_ to
take a look into the said thread that suggests to figure out some remaining
(wrong?) usages of the entry.desktop files.

Aleix

[1] http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Epics/New_Runtime_Organization