Big changes for Solid

Àlex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Thu Mar 27 22:50:35 UTC 2014

Hi there

First of all I'm really sorry for doing this now just hours before Beta but
honestly I have not been able to do it before.

In Solid we have a bunch of public Interfaces which represent different kind of
hardware, like Battery, Block or Processor.

After 6 years (all KDE4) the adoption of many of these interface has been poor
to the point where some interfaces have no users at all (in lxr) or only one
app. Because of this we decided long ago to strip all these barely used
interfaces since they add extra work for no real use. And that is what I have
done.

In the branch solid/apiCleaning you will find that I have removed some
interfaces and because of how Solid it structured we can't really offer empty
mock classes in kde4support.

I have done 1 commit per each removed interface and  I have explained in that
commit who uses that interface + how to port it. Of course I will add
documentation of how to port existing app to alternative apis (Qt and UDev
mostly).

I know that this kind of change is anything but welcomed at this stage but I
really really do not want to maintain this for the entire KF5 series.

Cheers and sorry for the mess.