Final kde-runtime splitting plan

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Wed Mar 26 23:19:44 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 10:02 PM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:

> El Dimecres, 26 de març de 2014, a les 11:42:01, Àlex Fiestas va escriure:
> > On Tuesday 25 March 2014 20:00:51 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > > Can you give a rationale of why we're removing the following things?
> > >
> > > kfile4
> >
> > kfile4 is only useful to test a library that is right now on kde4support.
> > Maybe we can move it there if you want.
>
> Wouldn't hurt. What do others think?

Personally I think that in its state it's not an end-user tool but more of
a tool to test Nepomuk. I would rather see new tooling coming from Baloo
and the new tools rather than doing acrobatics to keep it alive.

If somebody has a non-abstract reason, I would be fine with moving it to
kde4support.

> > > kio_cgi
> >
> > Who needs to execute a cgi script without a web server? If you do then we
> > can move it its own repo, I really don't want to see distributions
> shipping
> > this kio in a package such of "kioslaves-extras" since it really doesn't
> > offer anything useful for most of our user base.
>
> Well you can't know it offers anything useful, and at the end it's a few
> lines
> of code that doesn't seem to need lots of maintainance, so why kill them?
>

> > > kio settings
> >
> > Browsing the settings in the file browser does not seem like a really
> > convenient thing to have, and of course it adds more code to maintain.
> > If you want to keep it that's fine but then please become maintainer and
> > tell us where to move it (maybe kioslave-extra?).
>
> Same as kio_cgi, I don't see why you want to kill something "that works"
> and
> that you have no objective way to know if people are using or not.

I would move those two to kioslave-extra. Shouldn't be much work anyway.

> Cheers,
>   Albert
>

> > Cheers!

Aleix