[kde-promo] Releasing Deprecated modules and Tier 4 Definition

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Tue Mar 18 18:18:15 UTC 2014

On Monday 17 March 2014 20:14:24 John Layt wrote:
> On 17 March 2014 18:15, Kevin Ottens <ervin at kde.org> wrote:
> > I think that list makes sense. Is there anyone who couldn't sleep at night
> > if those were in KDE Porting Aids?
>
> +1 to this strategy, although some bikeshedding on the "portingaids"
> name might be welcome :-)  Hmmm, nope, I'm drawing a blank...
>
> I like the limit on kde4support, we only have to look to Qt3Support to
> know that if the aids are left in place people will avoid porting away
> from them until they absolutely have to.  I'm not sure we need to call
> it a "product" though, perhaps just saying a special category of
> Frameworks providing transitional support for a limited period of time
> for apps migrating from kdelibs4 to KF5 would be enough.  Hey, how
> about KDE Transitional Frameworks? :-)

Better name indeed... I would be concerned about the proximity with KDE
Frameworks name wise though.

That being said, having a crappy name for the product containing the
deprecated modules is not necessarily a bad thing, we want to avoid marketing
it widely anyway (at least outside of KDE). :-)

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net