KItemModels, Solid & KJS licenses

Alex Merry alex.merry at kde.org
Tue Mar 18 00:04:05 UTC 2014

On 17/03/14 21:53, šumski wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 of February 2014 21:18:31 šumski wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> i've started pushing Frameworks to openSUSE Factory (i.e. next openSUSE
>> release), and our legal review found some issues[1][2][3] with mentioned
>> frameworks licenses.
>
> Next one, kinit[1]:
> "src/kdeinit/proctitle.cpp and src/kdeinit/proctitle.h are GPL-2.0+ licensed.
> This could mean the license of kinit must be GPL-2.0+, not LGPL-2.1+, which
> could be _very_ unexpected. Please check with upstream"
>
> Alex, this one seems 'yours', could you take a look at the two files?

Ha, I originally committed those files to fix a licensing issue.
Unfortunately, they're from ProFTPD, and so can't be relicensed.

We can steal equivalent code from somewhere else, though.  PostgreSQL
apparently has a good cross-platform implementation, but we'd need a
license exemption because while the license is BSD-ish, it is not
actually BSD, MIT or X11.  OpenSSH apparently also has similar code, so
it might be best to use their implementation, given Windows is already
treated specially.

I'll have a look at this later in the week.

Alex