reviews

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sun Mar 16 09:16:17 UTC 2014

On Sunday 23 February 2014 16:12:58 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El Dissabte, 22 de febrer de 2014, a les 16:52:38, Luigi Toscano va
escriure:
> > Hi all,
> > these are the steps of plan for bumping the default DocBook XML version to
> > 4.5 while keeping the compatibility on the old 4.2-based when kde4support
> > is used:
> >
> > 1) commit rename/changes of FindDocBookXML (RR 115876 and 115879);
> >
> > 2) kde4support: copy files FindDocBookXML, catalog.xml, kdex.dtd to
> > kde4support (with history, help or script from Alex Merry needed :) from
> > kdoctools, remove the old compatibility variables, do not install kdex.dtd
> > and catalog.xml for now, rename catalog.xml as catalog4.xml and remove the
> > old content (leave only the definition of 4.2-based DTD).
> >
> > 3a) kdoctools: change the default DTD by renaming kdex.dtd and bumping
> > DocBookXML version number to 4.5;
> > 3b) kde4support: install catalog4.xml and kdex.dtd from kde4support
> > 3c) other modules: fix the documentation of all ported modules to use the
> > new DTD (4.5-based) (temporary breakages in Jenkins are possible).
> >
> > My question is: given the strict time before alpha2, do I need to sent out
> > a RR for every step above (especially 3c), or can I just go and do the
> > changes if you think the plan is fine?
>
> I'm not a huge part of the frameworks team, so feel free to ignore me, but
> sometimes i feel we're overdoing the review thing, i've seen changes that
> seem trivial to me and that seem to originate from the person that knows
> most of the code posted to reviewboard. And that's fine if there's people
> reivewing it in a timely manner but for some not so well known/reviewed
> places it can stall the flow a bit so personally I wouldn't mind if some
> things just are commited directly.

I tend to agree. Initially it was a good thing because most frameworks
committers were newcomers to that code, but by now some of them know what they
are doing :-)
OTOH it works this way in Qt and it increases quality overall, so I'm a bit on
the fence.

At least I don't mind if "trivial changes" go in directly, especially since I
also read commits...