RFC on framework localization

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Fri Mar 14 10:48:49 UTC 2014

Hi,

I started working on ensuring frameworks can be correctly localized and
have some questions.

# Messages.sh place

I noticed some frameworks already have Messages.sh files in there. Most
of them are in src/. Some are in subdirs of src/ (kio, plasma-framework,
solid, kwallet, kactivities, kde4support). Are we OK with src/ being the
default place, but then its up to the framework maintainer to adjust
based on the framework needs?

I already updated the framework template in kde:kdeexamples to put a
Messages.sh in src/.

# No translations

Some frameworks have no translatable strings. I think in this case there
should not be any Messages.sh file. Is it OK for everybody?

For the record, here is the list of frameworks without any translatable
strings (found out after creating Messages.sh for them and getting no
.pot generated when testing it)

- attica
- karchive
- kcrash