c++ plugins with Frameworks 5

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Mar 4 10:52:11 UTC 2014

On Tuesday 04 March 2014 11:21:06 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 04, 2014 09:22:11 David Faure wrote:
> > What I don't know is how much do we need support for queries that filter
> > this  further, and whether just reading the json from all the plugins of
> > type "foo" is good enough.
>
> In my tests it was expectedly slow: scaling linearly with number of plugins
> and touching disk all the time. My conclusion is that without a cache, we'll
> be introducing performance regressions, which means if you need fast plugin
> querying, KPluginTrader right now is not for you.
>
> When working in KPluginTrader, I've ported the query system from
> KServiceTypeTrader, so querying should not be a problem -- it works today.

OK, so "it works" but it's slow for lack of a cache, then. So what we're
missing is a cache :)

Unless someone has a plan for it, my suggestion would be, let's model it after
the upcoming app desktop cache, i.e. update it at install time. I'll be
working on that later this year, hopefully.

But meanwhile this confirms that we won't need .desktop files, so Aaron, you
can go ahead....