git hooks for reviews mandatory?

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Sat Jun 21 08:29:13 UTC 2014

On Friday 20 June 2014 13:13:20 Aleix Pol wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 7:40 AM, Kevin Ottens <ervin at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Friday 20 June 2014 01:46:10 Aleix Pol wrote:

> > always

> > adding

> > not

> > > I've heard of many complaints about how noisy is kde-frameworks mailing
> > > list because of review requests.
> >
> > Well, the policy doesn't necessarily mean going through reviewboard. As
> > pointed by Luigi "Reviewed by:" is also allowed, and that can be through a
> > pastebin over IRC or pair programming or whatever you want to get
> > something
> > more synchronous and direct as a review. Reviewboard is really for the
> > asynchronous case (no relevant people available) or "I'm not sure what I'm
> > doing" case. The rest could be done through other means of reviews.
> >
> > > Also, I fear there's people not working at
> > > full speed in their respective projects because of review requests.
> >
> > Yeah, let's get crap out at full speed. :-)
> >
> > I think I see what you mean. That said, I'd like to remind being careful
> > with
> > the "full speed" argument.
> >
> > >  Such change would scare me a bit, TBH.
> >
> > If we limit it to "REVIEW:" then it would concern me as well as it'd force
> > too
> > much of a workflow. If we support both "REVIEW:" and "Reviewed by:" then
> > it is
> > less of a concern IMO.
> >
> > Regards.
> > --
> > Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net
> >
> > KDAB - proud supporter of KDE, http://www.kdab.com

> What about merging a branch? It would be good if only the merge commit
> required the review statement.

Well, as discussed, we try to avoid branches altogether. If that's a local
branch, you can always compensate that locally easily... Now if we assume one
of those seldom published branches, the question is relevant. I wonder if
that's easy to do with the git hook.

Doesn't it just mean allowing commits without review tags in the branches
other than master? Then the merge commit will be in master and so have the
constraint.

Looks like something doable to me.

Regards.
--