KF5 Update Meeting Minutes 2014-w28

Marko Käning mk-lists at email.de
Thu Jul 10 05:41:31 UTC 2014

Hi Kevin,

On 10 Jul 2014, at 07:12 , Kevin Ottens <ervin at kde.org> wrote:
> See, I was unsure if you were painfully doing that by hand or if you had some
> machine you delegated the work to. :-)

well, all manually done up to now. ;)

> But that definitely confirm we should do something to help you there so that
> you can focus on others tasks than running build and sending failures by hand.

Yes, that would be a big step forward and I do appreciate all the help I got
so far already.

Most support I need re QStandardPaths and I would be stealing some Unix code
from  QStandardPaths::writableLocation() to be found in qstandardpaths_unix.cpp
where XDG is being used to determine the environment of the system the Qt5
program runs on, using qgetenv() like e.g. this:
---
QString xdgCacheHome = QFile::decodeName(qgetenv("XDG_CACHE_HOME"));
---
Since the CI system - of course - makes use of these XDG environment variables
during the test of every framework and application installed, it would be great
if all these environment vars would be given to the CI system by a patched qt5
as well. I am working on it and will post a RR once I’ve got something working.

> And your work is very appreciated. Helped catch a really bad issue already.
> Keep it coming! ;-)

Thanks for the flowers. :)
(Well, that was close, just moments before the release.)

> I would agree with Albert here, you get a higher chance of growth by trying to
> attract current OSX users, there's not many of them in KDE. There was a few,
> but they moved on with their lives.

Some have moved back to Linux. ;)

Greets,
Marko