Translations in frameworks released tarballs

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Wed Jul 9 09:59:01 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 11:27 AM, Alexander Potashev
<aspotashev at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tuesday 08 July 2014 23:24:36 Christoph Feck wrote:
>>> Is it possible to strip them before the archives are packed? Or can
>>> they even be stripped in the repositories?
>>
>> Good question. If kde-i18n-doc says "better not strip in the repositories",
>> then I can make the stripping a part of the release scripts.
>
> Hi David,
>
> I would say "better not strip in the repositories". It might be my
> personal feeling, a fear to forget and lose data, but there might be
> workflows broken if you strip obsolete messages. Example: someone
> removes a chunk of code and restores it next day. If you strip
> obsoletes in between, then translations for the restored code will be
> lost. Otherwise msgmerge would put them back as fuzzy messages and
> then translators only need to unfuzzy them which is easy.
>
> Even if we decide to strip obsolete messages automatically (daily?),
> someone might commit a new translation file with some obsolete
> messages on the tagging/release day and then you still find obsoletes
> in the release tarballs.

FWIW, the releaseme script does stripping at tarball creation time and
has done so for many years, it seems the best safeguard against
garbage in the tar (and btw, these also ultimately end up in the .mo,
unless gettext was changed to not include them). So, regardless of
whether we would want to strip them server side I think it would be
best if the release script also attempted to strip the obsolete
messages; it's plenty cheap.

HS