Translations in frameworks released tarballs

Alexander Potashev aspotashev at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 09:27:37 UTC 2014

> On Tuesday 08 July 2014 23:24:36 Christoph Feck wrote:
>> Is it possible to strip them before the archives are packed? Or can
>> they even be stripped in the repositories?
>
> Good question. If kde-i18n-doc says "better not strip in the repositories",
> then I can make the stripping a part of the release scripts.

Hi David,

I would say "better not strip in the repositories". It might be my
personal feeling, a fear to forget and lose data, but there might be
workflows broken if you strip obsolete messages. Example: someone
removes a chunk of code and restores it next day. If you strip
obsoletes in between, then translations for the restored code will be
lost. Otherwise msgmerge would put them back as fuzzy messages and
then translators only need to unfuzzy them which is easy.

Even if we decide to strip obsolete messages automatically (daily?),
someone might commit a new translation file with some obsolete
messages on the tagging/release day and then you still find obsoletes
in the release tarballs.

--
Alexander Potashev