OSX/MacPorts KDE CI System: Asking for trouble due to installations outside the expected $DATA_INSTALL_DIR/kf5 directory for khtml and katepart5

Marko Käning mk-lists at email.de
Mon Jul 7 21:16:43 UTC 2014

Hi David,

On 07 Jul 2014, at 22:35 , David Faure <faure at kde.org> wrote:
> Irrelevant, that's the kxmlgui framework. Other things won't be writing into that install root, that's for sure.
ok, good to know.

> With my patch to kwrite (pushed now),
That was irrelevant for me, since I had the OSX/CI system locally applying your patches already.

> kwriteui.rc gets installed to
> share/kxmlgui5/kwrite/kwriteui.rc on Linux, which should mean for you
:)

> kf5-qt5/kde/applications/kate/inst/Library/Application Support/kxmlgui5/kwrite/kwriteui.rc
>
> If this isn't happening, then you should debug it. The easiest way is to go to the ..../kate/kwrite builddir and type "make install", and watch where the ui.rc file goes to.
It wasn’t happening as expected and I did debug it:
---
$ ls -1 /opt/kde/install/darwin/mavericks/clang/kf5-qt5/kde/applications/kate/inst/share/kxmlgui5/kwrite
kwriteui.rc
---

So, we’re with kxmlgui5 actually NOT below /Library/Application Support/, but just like in Linux below /share lying parallel to /Library:
---
$ ls -1 /opt/kde/install/darwin/mavericks/clang/kf5-qt5/kde/applications/kate/inst
Applications
Library
etc
lib
share
---
which is where the kwrite’s folder landed already before (without me noticing it being completely focused on /Library/Application Support/kxmlgui5/ as I thought I’d get it ensured by the OSX/CI system’s patch for QStandardPaths in [1]).

:-)

This means, that we had wrong assumptions about where exactly the files currently go on OSX installs!

I am puzzled though, since [1] is pretty hard-coded...

I was planning to patch QStandardPaths making use of the XDG variables as in the unix code, but first I thought it should also work using the current patch.

So, how can it be that we’re not respecting the code in patch-qstandardpaths_mac.cpp in this case?

Well, it looks like it would make sense to write a little test program which simply outputs the relevant paths to the console in order to check what’s truly being set by the patched Qt5 of the OSX/CI system.

Greets,
Marko

[1] https://projects.kde.org/projects/playground/sdk/macports-kde/repository/revisions/master/entry/contrib/scripts/KDECI/patches/qt5/kf5-qt5/patch-qstandardpaths_mac.cpp.diff