[kde-promo] KDE Frameworks 5 promo

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 07:07:26 UTC 2014

On Wednesday 02 July 2014 19:00:49 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wednesday 02 July 2014 10:48:58 David Faure wrote:

> > > I'll try to help where I can. I've set up a etherpad:
> > > https://notes.kde.org/p/Frameworks5.0
>
> Gave it a quick look, it's nice so far. Maybe a couple more examples of
> frameworks we provide would be an idea? KConfig and Solid perhaps?
>
> > > I wrote the first 3 sentences explaining what Frameworks is. But I'll
> > > need
> > > to know some details about the first release and links  to the full
> > > list
> > > of frameworks, tarballs etc.
> > > Some questions:
> > > * What is the final on the release schedule?
> >
> > Public release on Monday 7.
> >
> > BTW the release schedule for the next releases is up at
> > http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/Frameworks
> >
> > > * What Qt version is this made for?
> >
> > Qt >= 5.2
> >
> > > * any caveats developers should be aware off?
> >
> > The KAuth framework is not working on linux at the moment
> > (unreleased dependency polkit-qt-1 + crash in Qt 5.2/5.3).
> >
> > (so basically it only works on Mac, since it has no backend for Windows)
> >
> > The only reason we're releasing it is that other things (kconfigwidgets,
> > Plasma Next) depends on it to compile. But we know that this particular
> > bit of functionality (running configuration modules as root) is broken
> > for now.
> And not really essential for most third parties. Only Plasma will be
> affected in a minor fashion.
>
> > > * where can you 'get started' with Frameworks?
> >
> > Good question.
> > I think
> > http://api.kde.org/frameworks-api/frameworks5-apidocs/
> > is the main starting point for using frameworks.
> >
> > (Comment for K-F-D : I just noticed that this page uses the terms
> > "functional", "integration" and "solution" without explaining what that
> > means)
>
> Right, not sure where to get that changed. Aurélien? What about restating
> what they mean? Or linking to the relevant place in the wikis.
>
> > For compiling them from sources we don't really have docu, we expect
> > people to use distro packages instead.
>
> Depend which people we're thinking about. Some developer working on a third
> party application targeting among other platforms Windows is likely to
> build from source... he's also likely to just handpick a few frameworks.
>
> So I guess we're indeed missing a place to state how to build the things...
> which really is in its most crude form:
> cmake .
> make
> make install
>
> > Compiling all of them from sources "by hand" would be quite painful,
> > compared to using kdesrc-build which handles dependencies.
>
> Which is the preferred method for people willing to contribute or track the
> whole set of frameworks.
>
> > Of course compiling a single tier1 framework (after compiling ECM) is
> > easy.
> [...]

All implemented as far as I could. Please provide a last round of feedback
before this gets put on the dot and on kde.org - I hope to have time for that
later this weekend.

I will also approach digia and KDAB for help in spreading the word on this,
if you're associated/have contacts at other organizations that are prominent
in the Qt ecosystem, please let them know about the Frameworks 5 release so
they can support our release with a blog or on social media.

We go live Monday the 7th, I propose 14:00 UTC (16:00 CEST).

Cheers,
Jos