[kde-promo] KDE Frameworks 5 promo

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Wed Jul 2 17:00:49 UTC 2014

Hello,

On Wednesday 02 July 2014 10:48:58 David Faure wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 July 2014 10:35:29 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> > >
> > > For linking from the announcement, I committed source-kf-5.0.0.inc
> > > to www/info
> >
> > I'll try to help where I can. I've set up a etherpad:
> > https://notes.kde.org/p/Frameworks5.0

Gave it a quick look, it's nice so far. Maybe a couple more examples of
frameworks we provide would be an idea? KConfig and Solid perhaps?

> > I wrote the first 3 sentences explaining what Frameworks is. But I'll need
> > to know some details about the first release and links  to the full list
> > of frameworks, tarballs etc.
> > Some questions:
> > * What is the final on the release schedule?
>
> Public release on Monday 7.
>
> BTW the release schedule for the next releases is up at
> http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/Frameworks
>
> > * What Qt version is this made for?
>
> Qt >= 5.2
>
> > * any caveats developers should be aware off?
>
> The KAuth framework is not working on linux at the moment
> (unreleased dependency polkit-qt-1 + crash in Qt 5.2/5.3).
>
> (so basically it only works on Mac, since it has no backend for Windows)
>
> The only reason we're releasing it is that other things (kconfigwidgets,
> Plasma Next) depends on it to compile. But we know that this particular bit
> of functionality (running configuration modules as root) is broken for now.

And not really essential for most third parties. Only Plasma will be affected
in a minor fashion.

> > * where can you 'get started' with Frameworks?
>
> Good question.
> I think
> http://api.kde.org/frameworks-api/frameworks5-apidocs/
> is the main starting point for using frameworks.
>
> (Comment for K-F-D : I just noticed that this page uses the terms
> "functional", "integration" and "solution" without explaining what that
> means)

Right, not sure where to get that changed. Aurélien? What about restating what
they mean? Or linking to the relevant place in the wikis.

> For compiling them from sources we don't really have docu, we expect people
> to use distro packages instead.

Depend which people we're thinking about. Some developer working on a third
party application targeting among other platforms Windows is likely to build
from source... he's also likely to just handpick a few frameworks.

So I guess we're indeed missing a place to state how to build the things...
which really is in its most crude form:
cmake .
make
make install

> Compiling all of them from sources "by hand" would be quite painful,
> compared to using kdesrc-build which handles dependencies.

Which is the preferred method for people willing to contribute or track the
whole set of frameworks.

> Of course compiling a single tier1 framework (after compiling ECM) is easy.

Exactly, and that has to be emphasized quite a bit (see above).

> > Anything else? Please, shoot any ideas you have that users (that is Qt
> > developers in case of Framework) should be aware off...
>
> Out of ideas for now, I'll let other chime in.

As long as we emphasize that a) most of them are easy to build for your own
project and b) that they provide proven solutions to a wide range of common
problems (making them the perfect companions for Qt), I will be happy. :-)

Cheers.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net