KTextEditor & Frameworks question

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at absint.com
Sat Jan 4 18:40:46 UTC 2014

> On Saturday 04 January 2014 19:18:56 Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I cleanup the frameworks branch in kate.git to only have libktexteditor lib
> > and the KTextEditor/ktexteditor includes to be installed as public API.
> >
> > Now, for 5.x, if others port over, like KDevelop, is it a good idea to keep
> > the ktexteditor parts in kate.git, together with the applications, or shall
> > that be split again into a khtml like framework?
>
> We want to make separate releases of the 3 major products:
> frameworks, apps and workspace.
>
> So libs that are used by workspace and apps, should be in frameworks.
> For libs that are only used by apps .... I guess they can either be in apps
> or
> in frameworks.
>
> So IMHO the question is: is there a chance the KDE workspace will need it?
>
> Of course the other question is: do you want to make it available as a
> framework for non-KDE developers to use in Qt applications?
>
> If the answer is yes to either of these questions, then you need to split it
> out into a framework.
I am not sure if workspace apps will require it, but I doubt it, given an plain
text editor is nothing the average application needs, guess only stuff like KDevelop/Kile/...
will depend on it.

To make the KTextEditor stuff available to a broader developer base would on the other side be nice.

What would be required to have the ktexteditor stuff be "frameworks" ready?

Greetings
Christoph

--
AbsInt Angewandte Informatik GmbH      Email: cullmann at AbsInt.com