KTextEditor & Frameworks question

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sat Jan 4 18:31:51 UTC 2014

On Saturday 04 January 2014 19:18:56 Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I cleanup the frameworks branch in kate.git to only have libktexteditor lib
> and the KTextEditor/ktexteditor includes to be installed as public API.
>
> Now, for 5.x, if others port over, like KDevelop, is it a good idea to keep
> the ktexteditor parts in kate.git, together with the applications, or shall
> that be split again into a khtml like framework?

We want to make separate releases of the 3 major products:
frameworks, apps and workspace.

So libs that are used by workspace and apps, should be in frameworks.
For libs that are only used by apps .... I guess they can either be in apps or
in frameworks.

So IMHO the question is: is there a chance the KDE workspace will need it?

Of course the other question is: do you want to make it available as a
framework for non-KDE developers to use in Qt applications?

If the answer is yes to either of these questions, then you need to split it
out into a framework.