KDE 5 versioning in documentation

Mario Fux KDE ML kde-ml at unormal.org
Wed Feb 26 08:26:11 UTC 2014

Am Dienstag, 25. Februar 2014, 22.47:51 schrieb Martin Klapetek:
> Hey,

Morning

[snip]

> > Will the "KDE Software Compilation" still be a thing in the KF5 era,
> > complete with its own versioned releases?  If that's the case, we'll
> > probably just want to change "KDE" to "KDE SC" in the <releaseinfo>
> > for frameworks-based apps and call it a day.
>
> Not in its current form afaik. There will be three big "modules" -
> Frameworks, Plasma and Applications. Given the progress on their "5"
> versions is different, there are also different release schedules for both,
> so no more SC in the current sense (that name also got dropped couple years
> ago, no?).

Correct. The SC was just an engineering/technical term. It was never intended
to us in promo communication or for end users (of our apps, not our libs). See
all the recent release announcement. There we never used SC.

> We'd like to put heavy accent on *not* using KDE anymore in around the
> workspace releases, so no more KDE Plasma, but just "Plasma", possibly with
> "by KDE" touch. It'd be awesome to get it away from apps to, so it would
> become "Dolphin for Plasma" instead of "KDE Dolphin" etc.

Dolphin for Plasma shouldn't be used as well, if I see it correctly, as
Dolphin work on Gnome, razorqt and Co as well and not just on Plasma. So just
"Dolphin" or "Dolphin by KDE". Plus what Luigi wrote!

> > If we're instead going to release all applications on their own
> > schedules, we'll instead probably just want to drop any mention of a
> > KDE version in applications' documentation.  (Or add "on KDE
> > Frameworks 5" or something like that?)
>
> I'm not sure what's the plan for apps. Their "4" versions will just work
> with Plasma and we expect to actually ship the first Plasma with
> applications based on kdelibs (please correct me if I'm wrong).
>
> > I'm also going to submit a review request shortly adding entities for
> > all this new nomenclature so we can refer to it consistently in
> > documentation in KF5-based applications.  People interested in this
> > sort of thing please double-check it for accuracy..
>
> Cool, make sure you add kdeframeworks group as reviewers.
>
> Cheers

Best regards
Mario