KDE 5 versioning in documentation

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Tue Feb 25 21:57:37 UTC 2014

Martin Klapetek wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 1:32 AM, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
>     Will the "KDE Software Compilation" still be a thing in the KF5 era,
>     complete with its own versioned releases?  If that's the case, we'll
>     probably just want to change "KDE" to "KDE SC" in the <releaseinfo>
>     for frameworks-based apps and call it a day.
>

> Not in its current form afaik. There will be three big "modules" - Frameworks,
> Plasma and Applications. Given the progress on their "5" versions is
> different, there are also different release schedules for both, so no more SC
> in the current sense (that name also got dropped couple years ago, no?).
(which was a bit too early given that the release schedules were still coupled
together, and it was more confusing). With a totally separated release
schedule it make sense to have different names.

> We'd like to put heavy accent on *not* using KDE anymore in around the
> workspace releases, so no more KDE Plasma, but just "Plasma", possibly with
> "by KDE" touch. It'd be awesome to get it away from apps to, so it would
> become "Dolphin for Plasma" instead of "KDE Dolphin" etc.

All ok, but I don't agree with this. It's not "Dolphin for Plasma", it's an
application that can be used everywhere. Maybe "Dolphin by KDE", but I would
avoid to go to the totally opposite direction: KDE Dolphin is fine, in the
"commercial" world there are products like Ubuntu OpenStack, SUSE Cloud, Red
Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform just to name a few.

>     If we're instead going to release all applications on their own
>     schedules, we'll instead probably just want to drop any mention of a
>     KDE version in applications' documentation.  (Or add "on KDE
>     Frameworks 5" or something like that?)
>

> I'm not sure what's the plan for apps. Their "4" versions will just work with
> Plasma and we expect to actually ship the first Plasma with applications based
> on kdelibs (please correct me if I'm wrong).
As the first new Plasma is going to ship quite close to KF5, no many
applications will be available I guess :)

Ciao
--
Luigi