Review Request 115960: Add sharedConfig() accessor, to avoid manipulating a raw KConfig * as returned by config().

Matthew Dawson matthew at mjdsystems.ca
Tue Feb 25 16:13:09 UTC 2014

On February 23, 2014 11:15:47 AM David Faure wrote:
> Add sharedConfig() accessor, to avoid manipulating a raw KConfig * as
> returned by config().

I had thought that when dealing with smart pointers, one should in general
always pass around the smart pointer and not the raw pointer behind it.  While
you can reconstruct the smart pointer from the raw pointer here, there is
still a point in time where you may lose access to the pointer if it goes out
of scope elsewhere.  Thus I'd like to deprecate/get rid of the raw pointer
version of that function.

However, I understand the frameworks are seeking to maintain source
compatibility as much as possible.  I looked around on Techbase for some
guidance, but I wasn't able to find any.  If such documentation exists, could
someone point me to it please?  Otherwise, could some one outline it?
--
Matthew