Runtime conflict with KF5Plasma and KDE 4 in same prefix

Michael Palimaka kensington at gentoo.org
Mon Feb 24 12:39:20 UTC 2014

On 02/24/2014 05:41 AM, Martin Graesslin wrote:
> On Monday 24 February 2014 05:33:37 Michael Palimaka wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have run into a strange issue when KDE 4 and KF5Plasma are installed
>> into the same prefix (I can reliably reproduce the issue by
>> installing/uninstalling KF5Plasma and restarting KDE).
>>
>> Simply, the vertical bar key "|" does not work - it prints nothing. If I
>> run xev from konsole it detects the keypress, but in any other
>> application it is as if I never pressed the key at all.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> we hit this problem last week and figured out that it seems to be
> kglobalacceld. Try killing the 5 variant and see whether it fixes it.
>
> Cheers
> Martin

I don't have any stuff from kde-runtime/frameworks currently, so the
only kglobalaccel binary I have is from KDE 4.

I have since been able to reproduce the issue manually by restarting
kglobalaccel and manually launching plasma-shell (which apparently puts
itself into xdg autostart?) which immediately crashes:

QML debugging is enabled. Only use this in a safe environment.
"Qt Warning - invalid keysym: dead_actute"
Could not find drkonqi at /usr/lib64/kde5/libexec/drkonqi
QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to
'/tmp/runtime-michael'
Added File "/home/michael/.config/plasmarc" NotExisting for ""
["KDirWatch-1"]
Added Dir "/home/michael/.config" for "/home/michael/.config/plasmarc" [""]
"default"
Trying to open ksycoca from "/home/michael/.cache/ksycoca5"
KServiceTypeTrader: serviceType "Plasma/LayoutTemplate" not found
Failed to load the OSD script file from ""
QQmlComponent: Component is not ready
Error:  file:///home/michael/foo/contents/loader.qml: File not found
We have no shell handlers installed
Application::crashHandler() called with signal 6; recent crashes: 1
KCrash: Application 'plasma-shell' crashing...
Aborted