kde5 in [app .desktop file install] path

Alex Merry kde at randomguy3.me.uk
Tue Feb 11 21:29:24 UTC 2014

On 11/02/14 20:09, David Faure wrote:
> On Monday 10 February 2014 11:30:46 Alex Merry wrote:
>> On 09/02/14 23:55, Nicolas Lécureuil wrote:
>>> ./kde-modules/KDEInstallDirs.cmake:_set_fancy(XDG_APPS_INSTALL_DIR
>>> "${SHARE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/applications/kde5"   "The XDG apps dir")
>>
>> Personally, I'm still of the view that XDG_APPS_INSTALL_DIR should just
>> be ${SHARE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/applications; did we ever reach a conclusion
>> on that?
>
> Ah right, I said "this has annoyed me in the past too", so I am rather in
> favour of it.
>
> Thinking out loud: with the current efforts in making things co-installable, I
> wonder... it'll make .desktop files clash between kde4 and kde5.
> Already solved for kdelibs4 (by renaming the two desktop files in KF5's kio),
> though, so maybe we're fine, if co-installing apps isn't wanted.
> Jonathan: it's not, right?

Well, if you want to co-install apps, you need to rename the binaries,
so renaming the desktop files at the same time is fine.  But, in
practice, I doubt it's worth the bother.

But even if that were not the case, I don't see why there'd be a clash.
 kde4 apps install to share/applications/kde4, kf5-based (well,
actually, e-c-m-based apps) to share/applications.

Alex