Baloo Framework - License Exception

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Wed Dec 17 11:58:27 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 9:27 AM, Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin at kde.org> wrote:

> I think Jonathan should respond to it. Your argumentation makes sense to
> me,
> but the question is whether Baloo is currently derived work of Xapian or
> not.
> If there is baloo internal an abstraction allowing to easily swap out
> Xapian
> by something different I would say it's not derived work. But if Xapian is
> deeply wired into Baloo I would say it's derived work.

I've thought about this some more. Here is the current situation -

* We have the baloo_file executable which has a lot of Xapian code, which
is not trivial to replace.
* We have the Baloo library, which does the searching through Xapian. This
part is very very well abstracted out. In fact it started out allowing
other search providers.

However, Johnathon tells me that just the fact that the Baloo library is
linking against Xapian is enough to make it GPL.

--
Vishesh Handa