Baloo Framework - License Exception

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at kde.org
Mon Dec 15 11:21:38 UTC 2014

> Albert is right, Baloo is LGPL but the resulting binaries will be GPL.

Again, this serves no purpose other than 'we are using LGPL' since libbaloo
clients can not be non-free - they will have to link to the GPL binary.

I'd rather have an exception to the rule than having something that will
confuse the library users even more - it is LGPL, but I can not use it from
non-GPL code.

Ch,
Ivan

On 15 December 2014 at 11:36, Jonathan Riddell <jr at jriddell.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 10:32:53AM +0100, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > well yes, that's how the blob drivers like NVIDIA do not need to be GPL
> - at
> > least that's what the affected parties claim.
>
> the Nvidia drivers do need to be GPL, that they're not just means
> they're important enough that people tollerate it.  But even Linus
> agrees it's not compliant with the licence, they implement the Linux
> interface so they're clearly a derived work of what can only be GPL
> software.
>
> Jonathan

Cheerio,
Ivan

--
While you were hanging yourself on someone else's words
Dying to believe in what you heard