Suggestion to ntroduce an application for testing config paths and access to files installed by cmake or created at runtime

Marko Käning mk-lists at email.de
Fri Aug 22 18:01:49 UTC 2014

Hi David,
Hi Mario,

On 22 Aug 2014, at 09:35 , David Faure <faure at kde.org> wrote:
> On Friday 22 August 2014 09:21:13 Marko Käning wrote:
>> 1) files installed by cmake indeed land where the application expects them
>>    at runtime
> You can write a script that checks that, using the "qtpaths" executable.

your suggested approach seems to be feasible, although it covers only a fraction
of what I had in mind.   Yet, it could be a good start, I guess...

But Cristian joins in here and I could imagine the same could be valid for Android:

On 22 Aug 2014, at 09:37 , Cristian Oneț <onet.cristian at gmail.com> wrote:
> Since the two platforms are in kind of the same situation I would like
> to see a similar solution to these problems.

Yep, I think so. That is why I voted for a real test *application* which can be
build and installed on any system, in order to have a reproducible testing
environment independent from OS and whether the test app runs on a regular
installation or a CI system.

As I’ve never coded a KF5 application myself and since I am swamped acting as a
half-manual CI system, I don’t see how I could code such a thingy in a short time.

I think this could also act as a good example-application for the KF5 framework…

Mario, there were efforts regarding example apps at Randa! Could this perhaps be
implemented by that same team? I think it would be worth to get such an app into
the examples, as it would demonstrate a lot concerning KF5’s ways of saving all
sorts of files for data, configs, apps, read-only, writable, etc.

Greets,
Marko