Where to put kglobalacceld?

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sat Apr 12 15:11:47 UTC 2014

On Monday 07 April 2014 21:20:19 Ben Cooksley wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 9:12 PM, Àlex Fiestas <afiestas at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Friday 04 April 2014 15:41:07 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> >> Given that kglobalaccel is only intended for the kde-workspaces anyway my
> >> suggestion is to move it into plasma-workspace repository instead of
> >> merging with the framework. Please note that with Wayland it will be
> >> extremely difficult to provide a generic globalaccel anyway (no global
> >> keylogger like in X11 possible) and my plan is to implement the
> >> interface in KWin.>
> > I would put it in a separate repo just to make sure distributions do not
> > add plasma-workspace as a dependency of kglobalaccel (which will mean
> > that application developers will run away from the dependency).
> >
> > What about kglobalaccel-runtime ?
>
> Frameworks has gone well overkill with the desire to split everything
> into separated repositories.
> Such a repository makes no sense.
>
> If this is such a problem, then kglobalaccel (the framework) should
> gain backends for Windows, Mac, Other DE, etc. integration and
> kglobalacceld is merely the implementation used in a Plasma workspace.

But kglobalacceld is probably the correct implementation for gnome, lxqt,
xfce, and all others on the X11 platform, isn't it? It's not related to the
DE, only to X11. So making it (kglobalacceld, the "X11 backend") part of
Plasma excludes these other DEs for good.

Martin's comment indicates that with wayland the functionality would become
part of the DE though.... but that's another backend.

I would make it part of the kglobalaccel framework, and only compiled on X11.
The dependencies can certainly be trimmed down, I just removed some
unnecessary ones. We're left with
   KF5::GlobalAccel
   KF5::I18n
   KF5::WindowSystem # KKeyServer
   KF5::DBusAddons   # KDBusService
   KF5::CoreAddons   # KAboutData
   KF5::ConfigCore
   KF5::Crash

where I18n and CoreAddons could be removed too.