Kioslave repos

Àlex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Thu Apr 10 18:01:40 UTC 2014

On Thursday 10 April 2014 14:42:37 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Thursday 10 April 2014, you wrote:
> > in the second case, it's just a release blocker, and has to be enabled and
> > ported, *even if* there won't be anyone maintaining it after that, it's a
> > part of the workspace and needs to be released, (and yes, preferably in
> > the plasma- workspace repo) if it's not yet, there will be no release
> > until is ported and built.
>
> one concrete thing that may be done is to do a (yet another) sweep of the
> things that are from workspace/runtime and being move around, like was done
> in the sprint, but do it in this mailinglist with more people interested
> involved.
>
> so, the central thing this time will be "is it necessary or will it cause
> significant regressions"
>
> In this way we can make sure no stuff that has still valid use case (yes,
> even if all of the people working in the framework hate such component,
> that's irrelevant :p) is left unported
> (like a good example is the automounter, i would never use such a thing
> ever, never the less that's irrelevant and is an important component of a
> base workspace for too many users, no matter how buggy or unmaintained is)

Even though going offtopic I will use this thread to say my mind since it seems
that your PoV diverges from mine.

The problem is manpower, we do not have the manpwoer to maintain half o the
things we have in the workspace, most of the things in there are half-cooked
or they do not even work (kglobalaccel kcm) and instead of taking a breath and
decide what we want and what we do not want (like we did in the sprint) we are
just blindly moving forward and making things compile that no developers care
about. This has to stop. This must stop.

This mess, this lack of quality is what makes KDE4 "unpolished" even after 6
years of development, we have plenty of features more than we can handle and
we need to puts things in order.

This video shows a bit of the things I feel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqY9l9qiFoA

And this feeling is a constant while using kde4, some kde4 apps etc.