Kioslave repos

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Tue Apr 8 11:15:08 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 12:55 PM, Kevin Ottens <ervin at kde.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Tuesday 08 April 2014 12:30:44 Aleix Pol wrote:
> > The rationale is that we should never need to pull a Plasma Workspace to
> > get an _application_ running.
>
> I'd argue the application is broken if that happens. :-)
>
> A regular application should only need KDE Frameworks and eventually other
> libraries (kdepimlibs, Qt, etc.) to run. If it needs direct implementation
> details about the workspace the application is badly designed.
>
> Of course that raises the question of what is part of the workspace... that
> doesn't give any indication on splitting though. No application was
> supposed
> to depend on kde-workspace before anyway, so I'd understand kicking out
> what's
> not needed in there anymore, I don't understand exploding it completely.
>
> Regards.
> --
> Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net
>
> KDAB - proud supporter of KDE, http://www.kdab.com

When I said applications shouldn't depend on Plasma Workspace I was
referring to kde-runtime, where most kdelibs was relying on and so now do
some frameworks.

KHelpCenter was split into a different repository because applications will
want to depend on it, same thing applies with most kioslaves and
components. The rest has gone to plasma-*.

Aleix